$21.69–$26.85 an hour
Full Job Description
Working as part of a team, and reporting to the Program Manager, the Casual Youth Worker is responsible for providing holistic care for the physical, mental and spiritual health of children residing in the community options homes in accordance with the children’s program philosophy and the goals, mission, and philosophy of KRRC.
The position responsibilities are, but not limited to:
- Maintains and promotes health and safety standards and procedures in accordance with KRRC Policies and Guidelines, Nova Scotia Community Services Residential Child-Caring Facility Policies and Occupational Health and Safety Acts and Regulations.
- Works to maintain a safe, hygienic and secure environment which includes but not limited to pushing, pulling, lifting up to 35 lbs, reaching, bending (sweeping, mopping, shoveling, shopping, cleaning, vacuuming etc.).
- Maintains and communicates pertinent information, such as but not limited to changes in clients’ conditions or behaviours, workplace hazards/safety concerns, program or client finances and house records to the Program Manager or designate in order to maintain continuity of client’s program.
- Completes shift responsibilities accurately and within established time frames, accepting direction and delegation of tasks from the Youth Worker 1.
- Effectively manages crisis.
- Demonstrates responsibility for all KRRC facilities, equipment, and supplies.
- Ensures documentation is completed in a clear, concise manner consistent with KRRC policies, Guidelines and in accordance with DCS Best Practices in Case Recordings.
- Demonstrates sound professional judgment, critical thinking skills and initiative. Supports evidence-based practices through the implementation of clinical recommendations.
- Develops and implements clients’ individual program plans in conjunction with the interdisciplinary team and clients to support the development of life skills through a solution focused process of assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating strategies for positive programming.
- Works to develop meaningful connections with the children while respecting the individual needs of the child and maintaining professional boundaries.
- Promotes professionalism and positive working relationships within the organization, with external agencies and families.
- Mentors and assist clients in the skills of daily living (including chores, room management, and homework), appropriate decision making, personal interactions, money management and strategies for their personal success.
- Provides supervision and support to students and new employees.
- Contributes to continuous quality improvement activities through participation in employee’s development, continuous learning, program team meetings, goal setting, committee meetings and the provision of solution focused feedback.
- Promotes the mission of quality client programming by performing any other related tasks and duties that may be assigned or required, in order to maintain proficient work-flows.
Kings Regional Rehabilitation Centre Offers:
- Competitive pay rate of $21.69-$26.85 per hour ($21.69 after a probation period and increases yearly based on working hours accumulated as per the collective agreement), PLUS weekend and shift premiums.
- Option to join pension plan after 24 continuous months with required hours per calendar year for casual employees.
- Opportunities for temporary and permanent internal positions.
- Opportunities for continuous learning with in-house training and professional development.
- KRRC is an equal opportunity employer that values Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Provide proof of: Graduate of Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) or other accredited Child & Youth Care Worker program or a Bachelor’s Degree in the Human Services field; including Psychology, Sociology, Criminology and Education.
- Proof of COVID-19 double vaccination as per the government mandate.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid/CPR (Level C).
- CPI Non-Violent Crisis Intervention. (NOTE: KRRC offers NVCI to successful candidates who need this course, at the employee’s expense.)
- Availability to work weekdays, weekends and holidays; shift work; days, evenings and nights.
- Required to provide Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Abuse Registry search.
- Experience with children who have intellectual disabilities, mental illness, trauma, behavioral and/or emotional challenges and past work experience in residential settings is an asset..
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
- The successful applicant will have a positive attitude, honesty and integrity and will have the ability to work within a team atmosphere.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Part-time hours: 12.00-37.50 per week
Salary: $21.69-$26.85 per hour
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
Human Resources (email@example.com) Reference Casual Youth Worker – Community Options Youth