POSITION NOTICE (Internal & External)
POSITION No. TP 23-048
Applications are invited for the following position:
AREA: Plant Services
CLASSIFICATION: Health and Safety Coordinator – 1 Temporary Position
Responsible to the Operations Manager, this position manages Kings Regional Rehabilitation Centre’s (KRRC) Occupational Health and Safety Program (OHS). The incumbent ensures the OHS program establishes and achieves goals and objectives consistent with the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, as well as the goals, mission, vision and philosophy of KRRC.
A College Diploma or University Degree in Occupational Health & Safety. Minimum of 1-3 years of experience in OH&S. 1-3 years experience in healthcare an asset. First Aid/CPR training, required. Level 1 JOHSC Certification considered an asset. Demonstrates commitment to continuous learning.
- Liaising with the Director of Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness, Occupational Health and Safety Nurse, the Chairs of the Emergency Planning Committee, HR Generalist, and acts as the JOHSC Co-Chair (Mgt) and, the Organizational Health Committee.
- Consults with the Operations Manager, other directors and managers as required to develop, coordinate, and implement the Board approved Strategic Plan as it relates to Kings Regional Rehabilitation Centre’s Occupational Health and Safety Program.
- Identifies, mitigates, eliminates where possible, and controls unsafe conditions that may lead to physical injury and/or property damage using safety standards, best management practices, and analytical techniques.
- In collaboration with the Occupational Health and Safety Nurse, provides quality oversight and coordination of the cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of devices and equipment in the organization.
- Develops and conducts training on the Occupational Health and Safety Act as well as OHS regulations and related KRRC policies.
- Participates in all safety training related to orientation of new staff and annual review requirements as necessary.
- In consultation with the Learning & Development Coordinator, identifies staff safety training and learning needs and participates in delivery of related education.
- The incumbent is an active member of and a resource for Joint Occupational Health and Safety (JOHSC), the Organizational Health Committee, Quality Council and the Quality Management Committees.
- Leads KRRC safety initiatives, including but not limited to, providing direction and guidance to KRRC’s safety representatives and other Program Managers and/or staff.
- Conducts work site inspections (In-Centre and Community), to assess employee risks, documents findings, recommends corrective action(s), develops action plans, supports the implementation of corrective actions and evaluates the effectiveness of outcomes.
- Maintains confidentiality of all documentation related to safety issues, i.e. accident reports, inspection reports, training logs, staff and client information.
- Conducts incident investigations, completes incident reports and as required makes recommendations for remedial action. This includes investigation of complaints related to work-related injuries.
- Assists the Occupational Health and Safety Nurse, as required, in implementing and evaluating strategies that ensure the success of KRRC’s ‘Stay at Work’ program and policy.
- Collaborates with the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC), Directors, Managers and Safety Representatives to develop, implement and evaluate operational policies related to workplace violence, quality assurance, risk management and occupational health and safety as it relates to this program.
- Reports monthly on key information and relevant indicators to provide appropriate, reliable, and timely information to the Manager of Quality and Risk Management and the JOHS Committee.
- Monitors the monthly progress by reporting variances to the JOHSC Committee.
- Ensures that KRRC’s workplace safety program is regularly evaluated for clearly defined and realistic planning objectives, organizational efficiency, adequacy of resources, efficiency, and effectiveness in providing a safe work environment, and consistency with the Centre’s mission, vison, and values.
- Completes safety related audits for compliance with various acts such as OHS, Violence Prevention and Accreditation Standards.
- Develops partnerships within the larger community and identifies best practices and benchmarking opportunities.
- Ensures that KRRC staff comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act ), including the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Assists in ensuring that equipment and supplies are safe and appropriate for use, including bio-medical equipment.
- Actively promotes and engages staff in safe work programs across the organization.
- Performs other related tasks and duties that may be assigned or required, in order to decrease workplace injuries and promote a culture of safety.
SALARY: Compensation commensurate with knowledge and experience. Possibility of this position leading to full time permanent employment.
HOURS OF WORK: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm
APPLY TO: Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59pm on September 20, 2023
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants are required to provide a cover letter quoting the position number and a copy of an updated resume.
DATE: September 13, 2023